The Erasmus+ mobility programme for university students offers the opportunity to take part in an international mobility project lasting between 2 and 12 months. It is statistically proven that the students who join this mobility programme improve language skills and develop new knowledge through living in a multicultural environment. Besides the possibility to study abroad, it is also possible to do an Erasmus+ internship or even combining these two options.
To study abroad through the Erasmus+ programme, you need be enrolled in a higher education institution holding an Erasmus+ Charter for Higher Education. If you are not sure if your university has it, you should contact them to confirm!
It is not possible to do more than a 12 months mobility period through Erasmus+ for each cycle of studies – Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD. This means that Post-Graduate students are not included.
The selection process varies between universities. When there are more applicants than the available placements, it is necessary to consider several factors for the final selection, such as grandes, linguistic ability, among other criteria defined by the sending institution.
The mobility period can last between 2 and 12 months for each cycle of studies, that is, each student can benefit from several periods abroad under the programme, as long as the duration of each period abroad is not inferior to 2 months and the total duration does not exceed 12 months per each cycle.
Considering that Integrated Masters last up to 5 years, the Erasmus+ offers the possibility to take part in the programme for up to 24 months, as long as the period is divided into 12 months in the first 3 years of the degree and 12 months in the following 2 years.
Erasmus+ mobility can be carried out in the programme countries, which include the Member States of the European Union and the Republic of North Macedonia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, Turkey and the United Kingdom (until December 2020).
Each Higher Education Institution has different agreements, that is, to choose the destinations it is necessary to contact the mobility office of your university to confirm which placements and foreign universities are available. There is a possibility for students to suggest a new institutional agreement, however it is not guaranteed that they will accept to establish an institutional agreement.
The Erasmus+ programme provides a montly scholarship to support with travel and accommodation costs in the hosting country. Before beginning the period abroad, the educational institution transfers 70% of the scholarship and the remaining 30% after the final evaluation. The amount of the scholarship depends on several factors, such as, cost of living in the hosting country, number of students applying and financial availability by the educational institution.
The Erasmus+ programme provides the possibility of taking part without receiving an Erasmus+ grant or receiving a lower amount, which will not be enough to support with the costs.
The students are also covered by an insurance purchased by their sending institution, however it is essential to have the European Health Insurance Card. The EHIC allows you to go to public hospitals like you are a resident of the hosting country. If the period abroad is carried outside the European Union, it is highly advise to purchase an extra insurance.
Finally, all students have access to language support through the OLS online platform to learn and improve languages.
To apply it is necessary to contact the mobility office of the university to find out about the financial availability of the sending institution, the application dates, the available placements and the type of credits to be received. It is important to take into account that each university establishes different selection criteria, that is, if there are more applications than vacancies, it will be necessary to resort to a fair and transparent process.
Before departure, it is necessary to complete a learning agreement to be signed by all parties involved and the university will send the initial 70% of the scholarship. At the end of your studies abroad, the learning agreement has to be signed again, the student will receive the academic recognition agreed on and the remaining scholarship.
Yes, the programme allows it, however, you should contact your university’s mobility office to confirm.
Yes, however you have to take into account that you cannot receive double funding from Erasmus+, so you can’t do European Solidarity Corps, EU Aid or Interreg Youth Volunteers.
Yes, the programme provides extra funding for young people with fewer opportunities
The Erasmus Student Network is the association responsible for supporting students who are on Erasmus mobility, however not all cities have an ESN chapter.
Yes, however you will have to return the scholarship.